Terms & Conditions of Entry for PlaceHolder
PlaceHolder – Your Art on a Bookmark Competition
Sunshine Coast Libraries | Horizon Festival 2020
Please read the following Conditions of Entry carefully. Submission of an entry into this competition is deemed acceptance of these Conditions of Entry.
Horizon Festival has teamed up with Sunshine Coast Libraries for PlaceHolder, an opportunity for local Sunshine Coast-based artists to feature their artwork on a library bookmark.
Local artists are invited to submit original contemporary artworks created in response to 2020. This year has been a wild ride and we invite artists to reflect on this extraordinary time and create works that speak to their lived experience in 2020.
Main Prize: The winning artwork selected by the PlaceHolder judging panel and the artist will be awarded a $1,000 cash prize, plus an Apple 9.7” iPad Wi-Fi 128GB (6th Gen), RRP $499. The artwork will be printed on 5,000 free bookmarks to be distributed across the Sunshine Coast Libraries and council network. The winning artist will also be profiled and promoted by both Libraries and the Horizon Festival.
People’s Choice Prize: The PlaceHolder judging panel will select up to 20 artworks to be showcased online in a People’s Choice category, from which our community will vote online to select a winner. The winning artist will receive $500 cash and have their artwork featured on 2,500 free bookmarks to be distributed across the Sunshine Coast Libraries and council network. The artist will also be profiled and promoted by both Libraries and the Horizon Festival
Entry is free for all applicants.
- Only one application per artist.
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant.
- The PlaceHolder competition is open to any Sunshine Coast Council LGA resident, as an Australian resident living and working in Australia in any two dimensional (2D) medium. Proof of address in the Sunshine Coast Council Local Government Area may be required.
- Entrants under the age of 18 years of age on Saturday 1 August, 2020 will be deemed to have the consent of their parent, carer or legal guardian to enter the competition and to have their name or details forwarded to Sunshine Coast Libraries. In the event the selected winner is under 18, the parent, carer or legal guardian must be prepared to accept the terms of the prizes on their behalf.
- Artwork which has already been sold or used by other organisations may not be entered.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted as one entry and on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is deemed equal.
- Artists will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media in the advertising and promotion of the competition and for online voting purposes.
- If work is selected as one of the prize winners, the artist must be able to commit to any requirements including prize presentations and artist promotional video/photo opportunities.
- All expenses incurred in the submission of the entry are the responsibility of the applicant.
- Sunshine Coast Libraries and Horizon Festival take no responsibility for late, lost or misdirected entries.
- Employees of Sunshine Coast Council are not eligible to enter the prize. Ineligible employees includes permanent, part-time, casual and volunteer staff.
- All entries into the PlaceHolder competition must be submitted online via SmartyGrants through the Horizon Festival website.
- Please ensure you have submitted the correct information on your entry, no additional changes can be made after the submission has been complete.
- A complete online submission means the upload of:
- artist contact details
- an artist statement about the nominated artwork and how it responds to 2020 (maximum 200 words, in Word doc or PDF format only, 2MB)
- the artwork meeting the specified size and resolution requirements
- the image file should be clearly labelled with the artist's surname (capitals), first name (lowercase) and artwork title (lowercase), eg. SMITH John Mona Lisa.
- Image resolution must be: minimum pixel size 300dpi, JPEG or high-resolution PDF format.
- Bookmark dimensions are 200mm x 75mm and imagery should be suitable to fit this space - portrait or landscape format is allowed.
- The artwork and artist statement must:
- be original and not infringe the copyright, moral rights or other rights of any third party.
- be able to show how the artwork meets the competition theme.
- The PlaceHolder competition theme is, ‘2020: A world in transformation’:
- local artists are invited to submit original contemporary artworks created in response to 2020
- artists should reflect on this extraordinary time and create works that speak to their lived experience through the challenges we have collectively faced in 2020, including bushfires, Covid-19, lock-down etc.
Applications open 10:00am Friday 31 July 2020 and must be submitted by 5:00pm Sunday 16 August 2020 AEST (Queensland time).
Pre-selection / Judging
- All entries submitted will be presented for pre-selection by the PlaceHolder judging panel.
- The judging panel will select a list of shortlisted artworks, from which a Main Prize winner will be selected.
- The winning artwork selected by the judging panel for the Main Prize will not be eligible for the People’s Choice prize.
- The remaining shortlisted artworks will be showcased online in a People’s Choice Prize category, from which the community will vote online to select a people’s choice winner.
- Artworks will be shortlisted by a professional panel based on a set of curatorial rationale including concept, workmanship and originality.
- Once the pre-selection process has been completed, all entrants will be advised of the outcome. Finalists will be announced in August.
- The pre-selection panel and judge's decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- The winners will be notified by phone on Wednesday 26 August 2020.
- Winners will be contacted between 1pm - 5pm. If there is no contact made with the winner, another winner will be nominated.
- Cash prizes will be issued to winners under Sunshine Coast Council’s finance policy.
- Winners may be announced or published publicly.
Publication and Copyright
- Sunshine Coast Council Libraries/Horizon Festival assumes all entries are original and are the works and/or property of the entrant with all rights granted therein.
- Sunshine Coast Council is the sole owner of the information collected from the entry forms and any other information submitted, and will not sell, share or rent the information to others except for the sole purpose of advertising or promoting the winning artists. The personal information of the applicant is protected from loss, unauthorised access, use, modification, disclosure or other misuse by network and system security.
- By submitting this entry the entrant is consenting to the use of their contact information for the purposes of receiving information about the outcome of their entry in the PlaceHolder competition.
- Should the contact information provided change between the time that the entry is submitted and the results are announced, please contact Sunshine Coast Libraries via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to update your details.
- Finalists will be asked to provide a high-resolution file of their submission for promotional material or publication. The finalist agrees that the artwork may be reproduced by the Sunshine Coast Libraries and Horizon Festival for critical review, archival and/or promotional purposes. Sunshine Coast Council is not liable for any copyright infringement on the part of the entrant and will at all times attribute authorship of the work.
Submissions open: Fri 31 Jul, 10am
Submissions close: Sun 16 Aug, 5pm
Main Prize winner announced + People's Choice voting open: Wed 19 Aug 2020, 4pm
People’s Choice category – voting closed: Wed 26 Aug 2020, 12pm
People's Choice Winner announced: Mon 31 Aug 2020
Note: times listed are AEST (Queensland time).
For further information contact: Sunshine Coast Libraries
E email@example.com | T 07 5475 8989
Sunshine Coast Council reserves the right to update these terms and conditions at any time.